Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Bon Iver - "Skinny Love"

I don't think I've been able to properly introduce you to folk yet.
Now, don't judge the genre before you properly hear it. Besides, the band that I'm writing about is indie folk. Totally different thing.
(Maybe. Whatever it'll take to get you to try it out.)
Indie folk combines the catchy tunes of indie rock with the soft acoustics of contemporary folk.
See, that doesn't sound so bad, does it?
Don't worry, we'll get to the song in a bit, but I can't leave you mispronouncing the band name in good conscience. Say it with me: Bone-Ee-vare.
Bone-Ee-vare.
Bone-Ee-vare.
Okay? None of that "Bon-Eye-Ver"stuff.Bone-Ee-vare.
It took me a really long time to decide what song to use. I know a lot of great indie folk artists, but they didn't appeal to me at first. Although "Skinny Love" is not my favorite Bon Iver song, it is certainly the most well-known and accepted of my other options.
As with most folk-influenced songs, it includes heavy usage of the acoustic guitar, a soft, even tone throughout, and metaphorical lyrics that I hope you'll bother Googling.
The lyrics are easy to hear but hard to understand ("Pour a little salt, we were never here"; "Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer"; "Come on skinny love, what happened here?"). I would give you my own opinion of the lyrics, but, in reality, your opinion should be your own opinion.
The video is below. Good luck meeting folk music for the first (or not?) time.

No comments:

Post a Comment